“Keepers of the Knowledge” Al Conner and Frank White will speak on “Civil War Reconstruction in Stafford and the Roles of the Black Churches in Developing Black Community and Civil Rights” in the county. Refreshments
A few days ago we showed “the dinky” and talked about the Austin Run Pyrite Mine. Today, if one goes past Government Island on Coal Landing Road, there are sections of dinky’s old rail bed that survive on the north side. During the early 1900s, pyrite, also called “fool’s gold,” was used for many purposes such as making sulfuric acid and in the manufacture of munitions for WWI. Most of the old mine tract is now occupied by Hampton Oaks subdivision.
From the Caroline County Dearing vs Dearing Chancery Suit 1916. This case is a good example why researching other county court records is important. This case has Powhatan County records, DeKalb County, Georgia records, indentures, wills and plats. It has information back from 1824.
This picture was drawn during the Civil War in Stafford in January of 1863 by artist Edwin Forbes. You can see three different types of chimneys being constructed. The last one even used barrels for escaping smoke. There were over 30,000 shelters constructed in our county, about equal to the number of houses today!