According to the WPA Historical Survey, Aberfoyle was located 5.6 miles south from DeJarnette, Virginia on Route #651. The house was thought to be built about 1825. The first owner of the house was George A. McGruder, who built it. The next owner was F. S. Chapman. LaFayette Fuller was the next person to come into possession of this estate. He sold it on January 20, 1882 to Dr. Charles Wright. At his death in 1893 it was left to his wife, Anne Elizabeth Wright.
The house was a rectangular frame two and one-half story structure. Originally it was of the one and on-half story type and had dormer windows. It had a gabled roof covered with metal. There were two chimneys and one flue. The weatherboarding was of pine. The original was poplar and the cornices were plain and made of wood.
There were thirty-two windows of six pane sashes and the panes were twelve by fourteen inches and eight by ten inches. There were blinds on the windows which were double and had movable shutters.
The original door to the front entrance was taken off and replaced with a new door when the WPA Survey was done in 1937. The upper half of the door was glass and the lower half had three panels. There was a three pane transom.
There were fourteen rooms in the house, twelve were large and two were small. The ceilings were approximately eight feet high. The stairway was one flight.
The doors were two panel type and made of pine. They had common type hinges and concealed locks. The walls were plastered and papered and there were no interior cornices. The floors were the original ones and had six inch boards. There were four mantels, all hand made and plain with the exception of the one that was hand carved.
There was a two room cellar with a hall having plastered walls and cement floors. The cellar was only used for storage at the time the survey was conducted.
Dr. Charles Wright, one of the owners of the house, was second lieutenant in the Civil War. His sword and epaulets were still in the house and in possession of his descendants in 1937. During the Civil War the northern and southern armies passed by the house and some of the soldiers camped close by.
George Tod, owner of Tod’s Tavern, the first tavern in Caroline to be approached from the north, was the great grandfather of the owners of the house in 1937.
The WPA report was done by Selma Farmer of Port Royal, Virginia in 1937. Informant was Miss Eva Wright of Shumannsville, Virginia. She was a descendant of one of the first owners.
The above information was taken directly from the WPA Historical Survey that was conducted in 1937. If you have additional information on this house, we would love to hear from you.